I may have caused a Calendar disaster. I'll first set up the situation and then explain my careless action.

As shown below, I'm running Mac OS 10.8.5 on my Mac Pro and iOS 7.0 on my iPhone 4S. So far, I've had no problems that I can blame on either OS. There is plenty of unused space on both machines. iCloud has never been opened since it was installed. I sync my Calendar apps by plugging in the USB power cord on the iPhone into the Mac Pro and opening iTunes 11.1. The iPhone connection appears on the iTunes list and I click it to open the sync window.

I use two backup drives, one is an internal HD on the Mac Pro and and the other is an external HD.

There was a backup about 20 minutes before the possible disaster. I entered several new appointments into Calendar on the Mac Pro and then plugged in the iPhone 4S to sync the new appointments. It was a very routine thing and I was preoccupied with my next job. I clicked on what I thought were the appropriate items and hit the Sync button. A warning popped up, but I didn't pay a lot of attention to it. I clicked OK and the calendars on both the Mac Pro and the iPhone 4S went blank. I had destroyed my main calendar. Two other, minor calendars remained, but they have no data. I must have clicked on the wrong items before doing the Sync.

I then went to Time Machine to Restore the backup that I had done 20 minutes previously. I can't just click on the Calendar app to open it in Time Machine. I went to the help files that seemed to imply that I have to Export a specific Calendar item before it is saved in Time Machine. This is the first time I've ever heard of this. It isn't mentioned in the iPhone manual. If this is true, I've never made a Calendar backup and my reliance on Time Machine was futile. I assumed that Calendar was doing its own backup, but, in retrospect, I should have been suspicious because Calendar has no Save function. I did try the Calendar>File>Export>Calendar Archive and, sure enough, it made a date/time labeled Calendar backup and deposited it in Apps right below the Calendar app.

At this point, it appears to me that I am just plain out of luck. I should have bought David Pogue's MacOS X Mountain Lion manual. I'm not optimistic, but I'll ask the question anyway: Is there any way of rescuing the lost data? This is really a disaster if there is no way to do so.

Last edited by JoBoy; 09/24/13 01:25 AM.

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5