I can understand how you might feel that way, dk, and I'm sorry for my part in that.

it's a fine line between keeping things helpful and having a place where people feel comfortable following a thread where-ever it might lead. spoken conversations often take tangents, and it's hard not to do that in a forum, especially when people find each other friendly and often of like-mind.

I understand the desire to have everything where it belongs (though I'm sure you can tell I have a cluttered desk, and ask my fiancé about the house...), but I also know where everything is. but a newcomer wouldn't. but, they can use the Search function, and find things, no matter where they might be hidden. and that's when I run into the difficulty of the hard line that is taken with on-topicness. I appreciate the effort, and thank you all for it, but sometimes it is done with a tone that is not very friendly. I see comments that would make me feel very small if they were directed at me. perhaps they are meant with a smile, but use a smiley.

I mentioned in another thread about liking the "Users Online", because I like to feel like I'm somewhere. a café perhaps, and it's nice to know who's around. I still would like to feel that way. I understand the post count thing, too, but it often would give me insight into a poster, to know that this was their first or second post.

it's a tough thing to build a community, even one that already has some roots. the honeymoon is over, and we're into the stormy part of the relationship. but we'll get through it, and have a deeper connection because of the struggle.

thanks to all.

"Out beyond ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing there is a field. I'll meet you there. - Rumi"

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2