Let's see, how about we list the features or non-features which currently seem to disturb the FTM population:

1. No post counts.

2. No titles.

3. No private messages.

4. The general taxonomy of the forums ("internet" topics in "networking," no non-troubleshooting tech threads in the troubleshooting forums, no non-troubleshooting tech-oriented forum/no non-troubleshooting non-tech-oriented forum).

5. Excessive enforcement of on-topic principle, leading to excessive relocation of threads or subthreads (and insufficient notice to the off-topic participants when a subthread is moved).

6. Insufficiently flexible/polite/friendly/professional admins/moderators.

I'm surprised that you haven't divined our secret purpose yet: to take away, bit by bit, every feature that folks could possbily want, in order to discover just what it is that folks like about this place.

Next, we're going to remove the Mac troubleshooting content. WIll any of you even notice?

Lest you all think that staff sucking the fun out of this place is a one-way street, l'll try to set the record straight: I'm working harder at FTM than I did at MFIF, and I'm freakin' miserable. I'm having no fun at all.

When the opportunity to reprise our MFIF roles at FTM arose, cyn and the mods all jumped to make the commitment. Even though I'd entertained thoughts of some other projects I was thinking I'd have time for, and despite the (extremely slight) cut in pay, I thought the chance to try to rebuild the MFIF community elsewhere would be worth the time and energy, and so did my colleagues.

I'm really starting to think I was mistaken.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors