Originally Posted By: plantsower
All I know is that some radio websites won't run unless I use Java. Click-to-Flash doesn't do it. I can't remember where I got the Java, if I downloaded it or it came with Adobe Flash when I downloaded that. But I needed Java to play the music.

Originally Posted By: tacit
Starting with Java 1.6.0_37, there is no Java Preferences app any more. It's in the release notes for the OS X Java update:

"This update also removes the Java Preferences application, which is no longer required to configure applet settings."

So if you have a version of the Java Preferences app on your computer, it's an older version, intended for an older version of Java. I have seen scattered reports that you can run it on modern OS X systems and change the settings, but it doesn't actually do anything.

You missed tacit's point, Rita... You can't find Java Preferences without your external being plugged in because the OS X 10.8.3 you're running uses a version of Java that no longer uses JP (Java, incidentally, came with OS X...was not a d/l.), and whichever version of JP you're finding on your external has nothing to do with what's on your internal, i.e. changing its settings does not affect your Mt. Lion installation. (That's along the lines of what I was looking for when I asked what's on your external. It sounds like you've got some earlier version of OS X than 10.8.3 on it. )

What apparently got you back up and running was the restore, but it looks like we'll never really know what happened.

(And, by the way, ClickToFlash has nothing to do with Java...Adobe Flash, only.)

Last edited by artie505; 09/13/13 04:27 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire