Originally Posted By: Virtual1
are there any usable alternatives (if even only in partial form) for the mac?

I depends on what you call usable. Moneydance has a UI that is the most like Quicken of the applications I have seen. It is written in Java and runs on OS X, iOS, Windows, and Unix. iBank 4 runs on OS X and iOS and has a more graphics oriented UI. Either supports all the major banking and investing functions including support for online banking through a large number of financial institutions. Both support importing QIF (Quicken Interface Files) but when I have tried them, the transfer was not as complete as I would have liked and I ended up spending a LOT of time cleaning up the importation. There are any number of other alternatives but I have tried both of these with varying success.

Personally I have used Moneydance off and on for many years and I have found it to be quit reliable and well suited to my particular style of operation. Besides that it talks to all my financial institutions which really simplifies my accounting. There is nothing wrong with iBank, it does everything well but the last time I tried it did not talk to my bank. crazy

NOTE: While QIF is about as close to a universal financial file format available, not even Quicken can read all QIF files. Quicken changes the format from time to time and often the format varies between the Mac and Windows versions.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein