Originally Posted By: ryck
You do not reveal stolen classified information publicly, allowing the enemies of your country to change their methods of operation and jeopardize the safety of your military and your fellow citizens. I'm sure some folks will probably still say that's OK but, in my opinion, that's treason.

*scratches head*

Which, exactly, do you imagine are the "enemies" of the country who have "changed their methods of operation"? You've totally lost me.

All our enemies expect the NSA to try to spy on them. That's what the NSA does. That's why they use disposable cell phones and encrypted satellite phones and carry sensitive data around on Flash drives. They know we're listening.

The revelations that the NSA spies on Americans in violation of Federal law is not helpful to our enemies, real or imagined. It doesn't change anything from their perspective. It's not treason; it's just embarrassing. Embarrassing the government by revealing that it is breaking its own laws isn't treason.

I think the word "treason" might better be applied to, oh, I don't know, Federal agents who swear to uphold the law and the Constitution and then violate the law and create phony evidence and fake probable cause to prosecute American citizens. What would you call that?

Originally Posted By: dboh
Sorry, I still think there's far more malevolence behind Corporate America's data-gathering efforts. Maybe some realize that, but think, so what?

Wait, what? Corporate data-gatherers can fake evidence in court cases? Since when?

But that's beside the point. Does it matter which is worse? "Look, look, the government is drowning people!" "So what? This company is setting people on fire. That's much worse. Who cares about people being drowned?"

I mean, seriously, is that what you're saying? Ho-hum, it's OK for the Federal government to spy on American citizens and use illegally gathered evidence to fake probable cause in court proceedings, because Google tracking your Web surfing is worse?

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html