Originally Posted By: tacit
I totally agree...

...oh, sorry, you meant Snowden is a "traitor"?

Yes. When a person reveals their country's secrets to foreign powers while seeking refuge from them, they have betrayed their country and fellow citizens. Surely you're not suggesting he's a hero.

Well, there's another similarity with McCarthyism and Japanese internment camps, then. People howling with blind, childish terror during both of those embarrassing debacles were quick to throw around the word "traitor" too.

Where are you hanging out that you should be seeing all these people "howling with blind childish terror"? I don't see any where I am in Canada and, this past weekend when I visited the U.S., I didn't see any there. All I see are a lot of regular people going about their regular daily activities.

How come the heads of government agencies that break the law and violate the Constitution aren't considered traitors? Didn't they take oaths to obey the law and enforce the Constitution?

I don't know. Did some of them provide foreign nations with U.S. government secrets, or did they simply not carry out their functions very well? It's seems to me there's a bit of space between treason and poor job performance.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C