Your points are on-target and well-taken, but I'll guess that you'd have raised similar points had I suggested Internet Recovery in the early days of DSL.

Apple is well known for pushing the limits of technology...sometimes too far, as can be seen from their much belated introduction of Thunderbolt/Ethernet & Firewire adapters when they were confronted with the ugly reality that the world was not ready for computers lacking those ports.

Further, Apple has, with its introduction of Internet Recovery, shown more or less complete disdain for un-technologically prepared users, so I'll guess that they're preparing to make a huge grab in the huge business computing market - where cutting-edge technology is demanded and money is readily available if its expenditure is justified - that has eluded it for so long...at the expense of us little guys who've only given it a 5% share of the computing market.

If I knew what the future really holds in store I'd be in the process of trading "Venus" for a Wally 115, but I'm not that close to the situation, so I'm limited to guessing...

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Apple was in the process of designing its own super high-speed satellite network for the benefit of the big-spenders who'll spring for its services and leaving the rest of us to FIOS, which we'll all almost certainly have within the next week or two. tongue grin crazy

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire