1. I'm certain that Apple is following a long-term plan laid out by Jobs before he passed away, I suspect that it's quite a long-term plan, and if you don't like what he envisioned, think about what his successors are liable to come up with.

2. I just bought a brand new, refurbed April 2010 MacBook Pro precisely so I can run OS X 10.6.8 and avoid the future for as long as possible.

3. I've actually considered Linux, with which my sister is fully proficient, if not expert, and would help me, but it's too soon for that drastic a course of action.

4. I've speculated in the past that Apple is treading on the edge of anti-trust territory, but the more I think about it, they've invented a completely new type of trust that isn't contemplated by existing legislation - think Starzelius, the spherical trust in Pohl & Kornbluth's The Space Merchants - and further, they've got some pretty neat justification for at least some of their violations...0.03mm, 1/4 oz, etc.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire