Several years ago when I got my Linksys WRT54G wireless router, I set up the security for WPA2-personal, and I disabled the SSID broadcast, just for a bit of added security. Everything worked fine until one of my relatives visited, and couldn't connect to the network with her laptop running some ancient version of Windows. So, I changed the router security to WEP and she was able to connect.

Due to laziness, I left it set that way until a couple of days ago when I came across an article that pointed out that WEP has been seriously cracked and is equivalent to no security at all. So, I changed the security back to WPA2-personal, and all was fine until the next time I started up my computer. It didn't automatically log into the network. I had to go to the Network Preferences control panel and go through the "Join other network..." procedure, entering the network name and password. And yes, I did click the "Remember this network" checkbox, but to no avail. Every time I start up the computer, I have to go through this procedure to connect to the network. Just wondering if there is some preferences file that may need to be deleted somewhere.

Running OSX 10.5.8 (yes I know I need to upgrade, if only I could connect to the app store, sigh).

MacBook Pro 15" (2015)
Sierra 10.12.6