All my movies are either avi's or MP4s. The latter play using VLC and the avi's with DivX. I have DivX plus player which I've had for at least a couple of years but before that, I suppose you may be right. Just looking through my movies I see I have 2 Liberation Europe documentaries which at the moment tell me an error occurred and to try again later. They were downloaded from youtube. I have 2 more movies which when I tried to play them, it says it is not a movie but a file.
However, upon checking the info, they are described as an Auto Desk animator Movies
with 956.6 MB and the other with slightly less MBs. These 2 movies were also downloaded from you tube and all 4 of them have the safari icon. Do you know why the latter 2 movies are said not to be movies? I have played the first 2 movies so I know they are okay. I've just thought that perhaps if I reinstalled Fip4Mac, the last 2 movies might play?? Any ideas?
Thanks for your reply. jaybass

OS 13.6.6 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD