This has my feathers quite ruffled at the moment. At one point Alsoft claimed DiskWarrior was "compatible" with Time Machine drives. I can't find that statement anymore. Apparently they've been called out and have pulled it for legal reasons.

Here's the rub: Since the last core rewrite (2006) they are still using COCOA and so are restricted to 32bit ram access. Therefore, when DW goes through it's rebuild process, it can only use 2gb of ram, regardless of how much actual ram (or available hdd space for vm) that your computer has. It quickly (well, if you call 20 minutes) "runs out of memory" when trying to rebuild a time machine drive that's got more than a handful of backups on it, due to the special hard links taking up a lot of memory when DW runs.

So here I sit... with a time machine drive with io errors. Finder refuses to drag and drop it without giving me a useful error message. (could not be copied... yes permissions are enabled, formats are correct, etc) so I try to run dw to fix whatever is annoying Finder, and it won't do it. Finder drag and drop is the only way I know of to copy a time machine volume, due to those funky hard links it uses. Ditto and rsync both see them as actual destination files, and even ditto quickly fills a 500gb hdd trying to copy this 160gb.

So... anyone have any suggestions for saving this time machine backup?

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department