tacit,
Your reply has helped me alot. The "3ivx" only appeared after I switched to SL
which asked me to update QT which as you know has a slightly different icon. I have 2 partitions the first of which was backed immediately prior to SL but leaving my other partition as is. So I booted up in partition 2 and dragged the old QT icon onto a flash card and then booted back into SL and then trashing the new QT and replacing it with the old one. The "3ivx" did not appear on any of my many movies. That was what caused the problem. I then trashed "3ivx" and a window suggested I uninstall DivX pro, restart and reinstall DivX which I did. Everything seems good now. I am going to update the QT and see what happens. If there is a problem, then I'll swap it for the old one.
BTW, I find that I can play DivX movies on my computer but after putting them on a flash card, they won't play on my TV. If you have any ideas about that, let me know. I had been converting them to MP4s with visual hub which also solved the problem before I realized it was the new QT was the culprit.
Thank you,
jaybass

OS 13.6.6 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD