It looks like there is quite a bit of confusion about what Ultimate Status Bar does and doesn't do. It's a spiced-up replacement for Safari's Status Bar (View menu), and it only struts its stuff when you hover over a link in a page AND have Safari's version disabled (may require Quit & reload). What it adds over Safari's version includes a favicon, non-http protocol icons, non-html file size (with download links), descriptive text with URLs, and the option to customize its appearance, to mention the most important.

It does NOT function as a progress bar of page loads, file downloads or anything else incoming, although it might list the (number of) components still to be downloaded, like the Safari status bar it replaces.

Finally, and not unimportantly, it appears that Rita managed to get one of the last downloads from the ultimatestatusbar.com domain before it shut down earlier this week. That explains Artie's problem in downloading it, and may render much of the discussion about USB moot.

All that said, I'm confused about the missing progress bar in Rita's Safari under Mountain Lion. AFAIK (I don't run ML), there should be a progress bar for page loads, as shown here. So why doesn't Rita see it? Could it be turned off, or too fast to notice? I understand some users don't like the bar's flashing effect when the latter happens. In a word, whazzup? confused

alternaut moderator