You may have misunderstood me about the Get Info procedure.

1. Go to Applications, select Safari, and click Get Info at the top of the window. Alternatively, press Command and I simultaneously.
2. In my 10.6.8 system, Sharing & Permissions says:

system: Read&Write
wheel: Read only
everyone: Read only

I was wondering if you had a permissions issue but since you downloaded Safari from Softonic (and I know nothing about it), you may have gotten something else. It would have been better to use Software Update. You could repair permissions (it wouldn't hurt), but I can't guarantee that this will solve the problem.

In another forum, a reader had a similar problem with 10.6.8 and solved it by re-applying the 10.6.8 Combo Updater. Of course, that's not the one that you want. You should use, instead, the 10.7.5 Combo Updater.

I would try repairing permissions first, then use the Combo Updater if that doesn't work. After applying the updater, check Software Update to see if anything else is necessary.

In Time Machine, can't you select the previous version of Safari and then click Restore? That ought to get it back for you. Actually, try that before applying the Combo Updater.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365