I started to ask this in another thread but, as it's a little off the original topic, thought it might warrant a new thread.

Scenario 1 and Questions

I record meetings with an Olympus VN-6200PC voice recorder and later attach the recorder to my iMac with USB. The iMac sees the Olympus on the desktop as another drive, and I simply drag the WMA file over. Works great.

However, to make use of the two hour ferry ride home, I would like to move the WMA from the Olympus recorder to the iPad directly. Unfortunately the USB connectors on the recorder and the iPad are both male.

Is it reasonable to think that a female to female USB adapter could be used to join the two male ends and that iTunes on the iPad would then "see" the Olympus?

Or am I taking a chance that something will "blow up" at one end or the other?

Scenario 2 and Questions

If Scenario 1 is just a bad idea, I'd like to consider recording the meetings directly into the iPad using an external microphone.

I have one of the cardioid Apple lapel microphones that used to come with the computers. I don't know the impedance although I assume that Apple hasn't changed the mic input impedance on their machines over the years.

I thought I'd just plug the mic directly into the iPad and record the dialogue with an audio app. However, the mic has a TRS connector and I understand the iPad input is TRRS. Soooooo.....

If I pop the TRS mic into the TRRS iPad mic input, can I expect to "luck out" and connect with the right leads?

If not, will a TRRS to TRS adapter connect to the rights leads going into the iPad?

If either of the above will work, can I expect to keep recording simultaneously while using other applications such as Pages?

Last edited by ryck; 01/03/13 09:37 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C