Your confusion at this point is entirely understandable. Let me see if I can blow away some of the fog that may be obscuring your vision. Epson Scanner is the application provided by Epson to control and manage their scanner and I do not doubt that it is 64 bit on both machines. Unfortunately the Epson Scanner app is NOT what Image Capture, Photoshop, or any other "third party" app uses to access your Epson Scanner.

Like most of the other major scanner vendors, Epson is a member of the TWAIN Working Group. TWAIN is in essence a standard interface protocol with tightly defined gozintas and gozoutas supported by most scanner manufacturers, so applications can be written to use TWAIN independently of whether the scanner in use is an Epson, HP, Brother, or whatever. TWAIN is NOT a hardware level interface though so on the hardware side of TWAIN each manufacturer must write the hardware level data source code necessary to connect and converse with each of its scanner models. Vendor applications such as your Epson Scanner app may, or may not, bypass TWAIN and go directly to the hardware level. In fact there may be the equivalent of the TWAIN data source embedded within the vendor's application. Third party apps such as Image Capture, Photoshop, etc. on the other hand will almost always connect to the TWAIN interface.

TWAIN is in most cases on a Mac a Unix executable found in /Library/Image Capture/Twain Data Sources. On my system the specific Brother TWAIN data source is found in Brother TWAIN.ds. (Brother TWAIN.ds is a application package and requires using "Show Package Contents" to drill down into it.) Three or four levels down Inside that application package is the Unix exec file that provides the TWAIN interface. It is that Unix exec, not the application package itself you want to check to see if it is 32 bit or 64 bit and I strongly suspect you will find it is 32 bit — on both machines.

By-the-way some have said TWAIN means "Technology With An Interesting Name", others have asserted it means "This Was An Interesting Name", but neither is correct. Apparently the name came from a Rudyard Kipling quote [i]Oh, East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet.[/i] in the TWAIN case it is referring to applications and scanner drivers. laugh

Before I forget it, thanks JoBoy for starting this thread. It is interesting and more than once has sent me delving for additional information. I had no idea what the format of the TWAIN interface was or where it was located on my system and now I do.

NOTE:
gozintas is software engineer speak for Goes INTO
gozoutas is software engineer speak for Goes OUT OF

Last edited by joemikeb; 12/29/12 02:55 AM. Reason: correct typos

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein