Originally Posted By: kevs
ONe thing about excel is the true user names and passwords are not listed. The user often something I memorized, and I just put "standard", and the pass often lead with some digits I've memorized with a dash and a couple of new characters. I don't think you can beat that. With those software you are supposed to put the actual uncoded user and password. what is the upside to that?

I suppose memorizing all of your passwords is the most secure method—until you forget! crazy

Some password software gives you the option to display or not display the actual password (it can be toggled off and on), but the whole point of using password software is that everything is readily accessible if the user knows the password required to decrypt the password database. One password gains access to all passwords.

While this might sound scary and high risk, this example shows how four simple words can provide more protection than some exotic multi-symbol single "word".

And as always, what we choose to do is often dictated by our personal comfort level with our choice. smile

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.