Originally Posted By: kevs
as far as trust. I don't what to say. Cocktail for example, I don't get on a CD. People suggest software all the time for all types of things on this and other forums. So apart from the famous ones, that's what were talking about.
Actually software on CDs is not immune from being infected with viruses. Over the years several very reputable companies have unwittingly shipped CDs/DVDs that were infected. There have also been very recent instances of new hard drives coming from the factory in China with malware pre-installed. No few of those drives were installed in new computers and shipped to the stores for sale to the public.

A number of software applications have been recommended on these forums, but that recommendation is generally based on someone's experience with their copy of the app which in no way should be understood as guaranteeing the copy you get will not be infected. Lately I have been choosing to limit my software purchases to the App Store, if at all possible, on the unproven theory that Apple has a vested interest in being particularly rigorous in keeping malware out of their distribution channels.

The point is that it is a dangerous world out there and it is prudent to take at least minimal precautions such as using strong passwords. Not having passwords is like leaving your car with a back seat full of purchases unlocked with the keys in the ignition while you go Christmas shopping for a few hours at Walmart. Someone could steal your purchases or your car even if it were locked and you had the keys in your pocket, but without those minimal precautions you are low hanging fruit ripe for the picking.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein