Thanks, but this G5 iMac is running 10.5.8, so no FAS.app in CoreServices, only the Folder Actions Dispatcher app. I access FAS (located in Applications/AppleScript/) via the Contextual Menu item or the Folder Actions script 'Configure Folder Actions'. I tinkered with it after posting my previous comment, and thanks for confirming this approach.

To ensure I didn't miss anything, here's another question: are there FAS listings/windows for each folder, or is there just one (remember: this is Leopard, not Mountain Lion with its server approach)? It seems to me it's just the latter. Anyway, the result is negative whichever way I invoke FAS: it doesn't list any scripts at all, conform both my previous findings and expectations (this account shouldn't have any).

And no, there are no active Safari extensions that should affect the archive label, at least not under normal circumstances. So I switched off the extensions, rebooted for good measure and saved a test page to see: the resulting archive still had a label. That made absolutely no sense, unless...

And then I found the cause of this label issue: while scrutinizing every step taken to save a web page, I also checked for label options in the Default Folder X-enhanced Finder dialog I use (something I rarely see, because I hit Command-S-Enter before it pops up and away again). Sure enough, the label popup was set to 'grey'. What with the frequently maxed out G5 CPU I figure a buffered mouse click in the right place registered just at the right time for this option to be selected. Alternatively, it must have been the cat... smirk

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone! If nothing else, they helped kick my a55 into gear. laugh

With the successful conclusion of this label problem, I think I'll now open a separate thread to find out what could unexpectedly launch Mail, the issue I referred to above in post #24059. Who knows, even if there isn't a ready answer, you might prod me to figure that one out too...

alternaut moderator