Yes you can purchase and download apps in iTunes and then when you synch the iTunes with your iPhone, either by WiFi or USB the apps will be transferred to the iPhone. During this process a backup is made of iPhone including all the installed apps, photos, tunes, iTunes University courses, etc. Then if a disaster should occur or your iPhone starts acting wonky and you need to reset it back to factory specs, you can restore from the backup. Apps can be updated either directly on the iPhone or through iTunes on your Mac. Be aware that for one reason or another iPhone apps update often and 99% of the updates are free, but you do need to keep your iPhone apps up to date.

Among the first apps you download should be the Apple Store app as well as the App Store app. YOu can use the Apple Store app to purchase Apple hardware, make appointments at the Genius Desk, Schedule a one on one, etc. The App Store app is used to purchase and download iPhone apps. Apps purchased on the iPhone can be transferred to your iTunes the next time you synch.

Backing up to the iCloud is convenient, but backing up and restoring to iTunes on your Mac by WiFi or USB is faster. Truth be told, I do both.

By-the-way, my iPhone shipped from Hangzhou today and should be in my hands by Thursday. I had hoped to have it before last week's visit with Mickey and Minnie in Florida because I wanted to try out the panorama photography feature on the new additions to Fantasy Land, but…

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein