Originally Posted By: Pendragon
BTW, are maintenance utilities and system enhancements such as those found in DiskWarrior, TTP, MacPilot, TinkerTool System, and the like suggested?

None available and none required. There is no file system per se and no Finder such as you have with OS X. Files are generally either stored as an open entity within an app or in iCloud or a similar internet storage facility. Many apps have their own online data storage rather than using iCloud. Partly because it is easier for the developers but mostly because they can charge you for the online disk space. If things go inexplicably wrong the first thing to do is power down (hold the button at the top down until the shut down slider appears and then slide it from left to right. Wait a few seconds then press the button down until an Apple logo appears on the screen.

If that fails, connect your iPhone to your Mac using the USB cable, launch iTunes, select the iPhone on the list of devices and click the button in iTunes to restore to factory defaults. This can take a while to backup all your apps and data, reset everything to the default, and finally restore all your apps, data, tunes, pictures, books, etc. If that still doesn't work, I hope you spent the extra $99 to get Applecare. (I have had more then one iPhone replaced under Applecare.)

That reminds me of a very useful app called Drop Box. I use it to store financial and database files so they can be accessed from apps on my iMac as well as my iPhone or iPad and it keeps everything synched as they are sharing the same data file. It works with apps like MoneyDance, Bento, and Yojimbo. Bare Bones Software is working on an iCloud link for Yojimbo, but in the meantime Drop Box is a viable work around.

I'm jealous. By the time my contract allowed me to upgrade my iPhone the quoted delivery time was approaching Thanksgiving, so you will probably have yours weeks before I get my hands on the iPhone 5. mad

Careful though, the i devices can be habit forming. My faithful 27" iMac was recalled for a hard drive replacement and I have been forced to rely on my trusty iPad to work. Who needs a laptop? My iPad is smaller, lighter, maybe faster, and definitely easier to maintain than my MacBook Air, but I do miss the 27" screen.

One thing I did not expect was using my iPhone as a GPS Navigation aid. After using the iPhone one time, I have my Garmin away. There are several GPS navigation apps, but the one I have settled on is GPS Drive. Relatively inexpensive, accurate, and highly useful. However, with the advent of iOS 6 it may well be supplanted by Apple's builtin Maps app. I have not encountered any of the infamous errors that have been reported, the display is stunning, and the voice guidance works well -- all of this built in to iOS 6.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein