Originally Posted By: Pendragon
My interests are mainly with productivity apps, such as an Office or the iLife suite and being able to print most anywhere.

Pages, Keynote, and Numbers are available and have the ability to share with the corresponding products on your desktop via iCloud and there are a number of printing options such as Print n Share for remote printing. If you are on the same WiFi network as your printer, Brother, Epson, HP, etc. all have dedicated apps for printing from your iPhone and scanning to your iPhone.

I think I'll want Dropbox, DataWiz, Skype, Adobe Reader (or such), Google Search, and a weather app, but so far, I'm just musing.

All of those are available including Adobe Reader or PDF Reader or Perfect Reader, or any one of several other PDF readers. The hardest part is choosing which one. I find the user ratings helpful but in the end it boils down to personal preference. There are so many weather apps it is hard to choose. I have downloaded and deleted several. One criteria I have is an app that is not only available for my iPhone, but also for the iPad, and iMac. For the moment at least I am using one called Swackett on the iPhone and iMac and Peepometer 1000 on the iPad. Same app just a slightly different UI on the iPad. confused

I'm not a game player and am unlikely to load many songs or pictures.

Don't be too hasty writing off games. I am not much of a game player either, but some of the games are highly addictive and on a long airline flight or waiting in a doctors office they can keep you from going crazy. As for photos, unless you are at least a semi-pro photographer the camera on the iPhone is absolutely amazing and unlike a dedicated camera, it is almost always with you. I find myself using mine far more often than I ever thought I would. I do some woodturning and after spending a few hundred dollars on a setup for photographing my work to post on the web, I have found my iPhone or iPad and a piece of colored paper for the background has relegated the dedicated setup to the back of the closet.

If I can easily read the iPhone 5's display, then books and courses via iTines U will be of interest.

It works for me, even with my 73 year old eyes. I also find audio books on the iPhone are great boon when driving long distances, working out on the treadmill, etc.

Also on the agenda, is attending the free orientation/training course offered at the Apple store. The new David Pogue Missing Manual on the iPhone 5/iOS6 awaits. Amazon indicates a 5 Nov publication date. This is OK, as that is the time my phone will arrive.

After ten minutes with the first iPhone, I could have taught the orientation at the Apple Store, but for my techno-phobic sister-in-law it was a serious boost to her confidence. Once you get beyond the very basic fundamentals the rest is very intuitive.

All suggestions are truly welcome (and appreciated).

A good place to start is in the iTunes Store under Apps there is a section labeled Basic Essentials or something like that with a decent list of the basic apps you will probably want. No matter which apps you choose, not all of them will be keepers, but at least in most cases they are cheap enough to discard without losing any sleep.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein