Originally Posted By: tacit
It's the combination of Bronze Age superstition and public policy that gets me. Since people act—and vote—in accordance with their beliefs, so a society in which irrational beliefs are coddled becomes a society with irrational public policy.

Congressman Broun's statements are appalling. It is even more appalling that he has a degree in Chemistry and is an M.D.! I have to wonder if he still uses leaches to bleed his patients to rid them of the bad humors that are afflicting them.

That said, he still has a right to express his beliefs and I don't think we would want it any other way. Any constitutional amendment, law, rule, etc. that would place limits on his right to express his beliefs would cut the other way equally well should Broun and his ilk come into ascendency. It is our duty as citizens to express our opinions with equal vociferousness and to vote to assure he and his views remain on the fringe of public opinion and congressional power. In other words, vote Broun and the idiots that placed him on the science advisory committee out of office!

There is one bright side to Broun being in congress. As long as he is there he is unlikely to have time to inflict himself on unsuspecting patients. wink

"All you've got to do is own up to your ignorance
honestly, and you'll find people who are eager to
fill your head with information"
--Walt Disney