I use Cookie as my cookie "manager," and the v 3.0.6 update I just d/l'ed introduced a "bug" that may in fact be a bonanza for us and a major plus and selling point for it: Little Snitch has begun popping up multiple connection requests from WebProcess for every Web site I visit.

At first glance, this seems like a major nuisance, because sites are requesting that many, 5, 10, even more, connection requests be dealt with before leaving me in peace, but I've realized that most of the requests are to connect with the sites that plant the unwanted tracking caches we find in Safari > Prefs > Privacy > Cookies and other website data > Details, so maaaybe not.

What seems to have happened is that C has somehow contrived to enable LS to block tracking caches from reporting back to the sites that planted them.

True, this comes at the cost of having to enable the connections I want, but I can set "Forever" rules on both the wanted and unwanted connections and apparently breathe easier in the knowledge that a major tracking avenue has been shut down.

(Little Snitch, itself, introduced what was apparently the same "bug" a coupl'a years ago, but it was resolved long ago. I guess its flip-side went unnoticed)

Cookie's developer is approaching this as a bug at the moment, but I'm wondering whether he has in fact stumbled on gold?

All comment will be very much appreciated. smile

Edit: I just reinstalled Cookie, and the aberrant behavior has not recurred, but I'm still interested in everybody's thoughts on it.

Thanks.

Last edited by artie505; 10/06/12 09:33 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire