Originally Posted By: alternaut
....if the clone has the same or a similar delay as the main drive, that delay may be 'normal' for what the System is supposed to do, but NOT normal in that it has to do that in the first place, and in that it takes far too long. If the main drive did NOT experience boot delays until recently, but the clone did, the clone's problems are NOT identical.

Okay, clarification. I meant that I thought it strange that the clone, made before any of the issues arose with the internal drive, would have the same long boot time. I only make my clone about every 7 or 8 days. Here's the last sequence:

- Clone is made
- various new drivers are installed for printer
- couple of days later, internal drive experiences a power failure while in use
- sometime thereafter, boot problem arises
- decision is made to rebuild directory from clone drive, find clone drive has same long boot issue

Do you reboot from the clone after cloning? Highly recommended for this and related reasons.

No...never have. Regular M.O. is to have Super Duper do the clone and shut down after. (Allows me to enjoy a glass of wine while the software works)

If TM is not working, and WMV Player can't find QT, you seem to have a good sized SNAFU here. Starting from scratch may be appropriate, but let's see if others have alternative suggestions. I can think of potential Launch Services database, permissions and/or directory issues. They can all be rebuilt/repaired.

I await, prepared to try any ideas offered....although not fussy about that "start from scratch" proposition.

If you have a spare HD, you could start TM from scratch without having to ditch the backup, if only for testing purposes.

Too late...I've erased it. (Didn't I mention was also impetuous?)

I doubt any extra drivers are the problem, but improperly installed printers may be. In that case, you may want to delete those (System prefs - Printer), reinstall and test. To find installed printers, go to: /Volumes/Mac/Library/Printers. And be careful with that axe, Eugene...

I used OnyX to look for duplicates in Applications and it found folders for Canon in the Applications folder and in the Utilities folder. I've eliminated the duplicates but nothing else.

EDIT: I have subsequently used Cocktail to repair permissions and reset ACLs. I also had it clear every systems cache. No change.

Last edited by ryck; 09/21/12 09:20 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C