Thanks. I'll do that with the iBook. I've already recalibrated the Macbook Pro even though it looks like I don't have to because the battery is built in and has different rules according to the Apple site.

Thanks.

Rita

Originally Posted By: alternaut
- I would use the basic procedure for the newer portables (MacBook/Pro), which is to:

1: charge to full capacity.
2: use battery in fully charged state for 2 hours (e.g., by running a WiFi access point monitor scan).
3: disconnect from power adapter and continue use until Mac shuts itself off.
4: let Mac sit in that condition for 5 hours (no more than 10 hours).
5: recharge again (uninterrupted!) to full capacity.

- She should follow Apple's (6 mos or longer) storage recommendation, and start with a 50% charge. After that, I'd check/recalibrate at least once annually*.

*) The 50% storage charge Apple recommends is for prolonged periods of storage (> 6 mos), but that duration depends on the condition of the battery at the start of storage. Therefore I would first check the charge level after 3 months and recharge to 50% if it's less than, say, 30%. The lower the residual charge, the less likely it is to last for a longer period of time.

If the remaining charge is still close to 50%, I'd check it again after another 6 months. If that turns out OK, I'd check the battery at least once a year, assuming the charge-loss allows for that. When storing a portable Mac for prolonged periods of time, it's good to remember that Apple recommends to 'complete a charge cycle at least once a month' for optimal performance and life. That means that storage, however well done, will detract from that optimum.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8