Originally Posted By: alternaut
Originally Posted By: ryck
...does it mean anything that my Super Duper clone, which was made prior to these issues, experiences the same long boot time?

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say.

I was speculating that, if the boot up of the physical machinery is related to the way the software is working, was there any logic in the fact that apparently good software (the clone) was acting in the same way as compromised software (the internal drive)? Just applying my simple-minded logic.

....it's a good point to realize that backups like Time Machine and clones may also contain MacKeeper files, just as there may be other, not MacKeeper-related problems hiding in the wings. TM in particular may need to be checked for MK and purged. Time for a closer look at TM?

I am having problems with Time Machine. Get Info says the drive is now about 5 GB smaller than normal. As well, TM is not functioning. I can go into it and select a point in time but it doesn't seem able to Restore.

That's easily solved. I'll simply erase the drive and do a fresh TM when this is over and done. I don't have anything that I'd worry about from past copies.

FWIW, the former is 'associated' with printer drivers...

I wonder if there's a relationship with the fact that, prior to these problems, I downloaded a bunch of drivers for my new printer. The Canon site wasn't really clear about which I actually needed, so I downloaded and installed several.

Any chance that removing drivers might help? If so, I'd need to know how to locate them.

the latter with........ and QuickTime.

I do notice that, if I try to open WMV Player, it says"QuickTime Player must be installed to run this application" - even though QuickTime Player is on my drive.

Last edited by ryck; 09/21/12 04:17 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C