Originally Posted By: plantsower
...the apple website, they say you only have to calibrate the battery once. Which is it?

- Today I read on the internet that draining it completely is known to ruin a battery!

- I think I have a Lithium Polymer battery. Not sure how different that is from an ion battery.

In no particular order, and in addition to joemikeb's and tacit's comments I can add the following:

For maintenance purposes, there is no difference between Lithium-ion and Lithium-polymer batteries. You treat them the same way. This includes initial calibration and occasional subsequent recalibration: so there is no such thing as 'once' with these batteries. The exceptions are built-in batteries: those don't require calibration (and, by inference*) recalibration.

Periodic recalibration of 'eligible' batteries is recommended to reset the battery's internal circuitry's tracking of remaining charge, which over time can deviate from the actual number. The comment that built-in batteries don't require calibration and recalibration suggests that this deviation is not (much of) an issue here.

Draining a Lithium-based battery during normal use or calibration does NOT ruin it, as long as you don't store it in that condition. Prolonged storage may cause a drained battery to lose the capability to hold any charge. On the opposite end of the charge scale, storing a battery at 100% charge may cause (only) partial loss of battery capacity, and hence battery life.
The critical question here is how long a drained battery can be kept before it starts to deteriorate. As calibration entails holding a drained battery in that state for several hours before recharging, it's safe to say it'll take longer before problems arise. But since it's not clear how much longer, I follow Apple's recommendation to charge such batteries ASAP.

If you do need to (re)calibrate, I find it helpful to run a WiFi utility that monitors WiFi access points in the vicinity. This literally sucks the juice out of your battery in a hurry, and makes sure the battery gets the required downtime after draining. But because of that downtime, I tend to run the recalibration overnight.

Some more useful links:

- Apple - About Notebook Batteries
- Getting The Most Out Of Your Mac’s Battery – Part I

*) To be clear, I haven't found a single Apple suggestion that built-in batteries need re-calibration, only that they don't need (presumably initial) calibration. Likewise, it doesn't say anywhere that (re)calibration is detrimental to the battery. My guess is that it cannot hurt and may help.

alternaut moderator