I'm using 2 x 1TB FW 800 drives for 2 separate, TM backups - 1 FW 800 drive direct connected via my MBP's (my primary Mac) FW 800 port + 1 FW 800 drive connected, through a 2d Mac's FW 800 port, and networked (to my MBP) via Network Sharing. [Both Macs are on my Local Network, via Ethernet, through a Netgear 5-port 10/100/1000 Switch.]

I'm replacing the FW drive which has been used for the TM backups via the Network Sharing. So, I have a newly formatted & partitioned, FW drive in this overall set-up and without any data on it.

Since direct connecting a FW drive completes TM backups so much faster, especially in the initial backup - about 64GB taking around 30 minutes as opposed to a day + via Network Sharing, I would like to complete this new drive's initial TM backup by direct connecting the new FW drive to my MBP, complete the initial TM backup, and then, connect it to my 2d Mac to become a Network Shared TM backup volume.

However, I want this TM's subsequent backups to pick-up from the initial backup - in other words, I want to insure TM (the app on my MBP) recognizes the previous, TM backup even though the drive is now connected via Network Sharing.

In a first attempt to use my existing FW drive, which has been solely used via direct connect, as a TM volume via Network Sharing from my 2d Mac, TM (the app on my MBP) began to do a completely new, TM backup on that drive. I stopped it as that's not what I wanted to take place.

What is the correct procedure to accomplish my objective? ...Let me know if I've not been clear about the set-up.

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi