I have just noticed a little issue that does not seem to be posing any (obvious) problems . . . just one of those annoyances that I cannot seem to rectify.

I use one TIME MACHINE for b/u. When I go into SYSTEM PREFERENCES for Time Machine and choose the tab "Select Disk", the dialogue box shows two categories from which to choose:

1. Backup Disks
2. Other Available Disks

An icon (with DATA) for the external HD (i.e. TM) appears in both places. When I use to mouse to hover over the icon in #2 above, my name appears after the afp://. However, when I hover over the icon in #1 above, the same info appears BUT with other miscellaneous characters inserted (e.g. %, AUTH, SRP).

If I click on the icon in #2, the only option tab 'Use Disk' appears. If I click on the icon in #1, the only option tab to 'Remove Disk' appears.

Anybody have any idea what to make of this? Why would one (the same one) HD appear as both the "back up" disk and an "other available" disk? What would account for the discrepancy in the names of the same source disk (i.e. %, AUTH, SRP)?

P.S. TM has not been partitioned in any way as far as I know (at least, not deliberately by any human hands!)

Thanks for any comfort you can provide. crazy

P.S. MBPro (2011) with OSX 10.8 (Mountain Lion) and TC.