Got it...thanks!

(Aside: I wonder what the hacker had in mind as respects contacting him? [I wonder if he unwittingly targeted himself?])

Originally Posted By: Referenced update
When I opened my laptop [...] the screen went gray, and asked for a four digit pin.

That sounds like the hacker set an Open Firmware password...surprised that AppleCare couldn't at least guess at it.

Anyhow, many thanks for posting the story; I echo your and tacit's sentiments about iCloud and am beginning to regret not having bought a back-up Mac capable of running Snowy ( tongue , but only maybe), because I foresee Apple's implementation of iCloud becoming faaar more invasive than I've got any inclination to deal with.

As I've said before, it's beginning to look like Apple is running in a time frame that has nothing to do with reality.

Edit: The DIMMS in some newer model Macs are soldered to their logic boards and cannot be removed to defeat a maliciously set Open Firmware password if that remains the only way. crazy

Last edited by artie505; 08/07/12 06:59 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire