Originally Posted By: plantsower
Ok, so from what I've been reading and watching on YouTube, when I format my external drive to the OS X, I will be completely erasing my internal hard drive. Would that happen if I just got the mac compatible hard drive? I don't want to erase everything. What have I gotten myself into? I just want to clone stuff and use Time Machine as backups.

Rita

That doesn't sound the least bit correct, Rita; unless I'm seriously misunderstanding something, reformatting your external drive wipes it clean and doesn't touch your internal. (How about posting a link to the exact drive you bought, so we can see precisely with what you're dealing.)

And finally, you may not be able to do what you want to do vis-a-vis Lion/Mt. Lion, by which I mean that you may not be able to simply d/l ML, rather you may have to upgrade a Lion installation to get it, and if that's the case, I suggest that you wait for better instructions than I can give you before proceeding, because you wouldn't want to overwrite Lion without having saved a copy first.

Edit: And, by the way, Apple has finally listed its Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter for $29.

Last edited by artie505; 08/03/12 10:38 PM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire