Originally Posted By: plantsower
Is that just your way of doing it, or do I have to do that, also. It's kind of confusing having never done it.

I agree there are several steps; but candidly I'm currently taking them as I just recently (about a month ago from this writing) began using TM.

(Previously, I was doing 3 separate clones. Now, I'm doing 2 clones - on separate physical, FW drives - and the 1 TM backup on a FW drive also having a clone.)

As I had not previously used TM and wasn't that familiar with it other than reading about set-up details, I wanted to make sure I didn't have any issues with the 1 clone being on the same FW drive (albeit, on separate partitions).

Regarding turning TM Off before doing a clone, I read somewhere a long time ago it was a good idea to do it, safeguarding against TM activating during a cloning; so, as a precaution, I turn TM Off (and then, reactivate after cloning).

Here's a possibly, very good reason to have TM Off when cloning... In the event one either boots to a clone (for quick testing) or an actual emergency restore, I wouldn't want the clone to already have TM On in the immediate use of the clone in either situation.

So, my current procedure with TM is very precautionary.

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi