I can get a 320 GB drive on sale today at a pretty good price. It will match the size of the 320 in my iMac and will be used as a clone backup drive. However, it is only 5400 rpm. The question is: Do I care if it's only for backup and limited applications use?

My backup M.O. is to use Super Duper, allowing it to make the clone and shutdown afterward, so it's not like I'm in a hurry for that part.

However, I use the clone as a boot drive when running applications like Disk Utilities, Disk Warrior or TechTool Pro. There will never be anything as intensive as games et cetera. Are the utilities' performance likely to be affected enough that I'll be wishing I had 7200 rpm?

EDIT: Updating the information....I was just checking this drive on-line and see that it's USB 2.0 (although it says upgradable to FireWire 800...without saying what that means). I currently use an 80GB drive I recovered from a previous iMac and it's on Firewire.

Last edited by ryck; 05/10/12 02:24 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C