On the weekend I had a hard drive noise - somewhat like a hum but slightly higher in frequency - which lasted for about 15 minutes and then went away.

This morning I had it on booting and it continued. My first thought was to do a clone backup but I couldn't as Super Duper stopped, saying the drive is too big. That shouldn't have been the case.

I checked the drive size and the system thinks it's about 60 GB larger than it actually is. (It is a 320 GB drive with 79GB of material) I went through the folders one at a time (Applications, Library, Data. et cetera) and the sizes on the hard drive were not different from the SD Clone drive.

Thinking I should check things with Disk Warrior and TechTool Pro I tried to reboot from the clone. It got as far as loading the desktop but there was no Menu Bar and no Dock.

I did a forced shutdown (holding power button) but when trying to reboot it simply went back to the clone. I forced the shutdown again and turned off the clone drive. Then it booted to the main drive.

I figured that maybe a TechTool Pro eDrive might be a way to go, so I tried an eDrive install. It got as far as the System folder load but got hung up. After a few minutes I noticed the same names flashing over and over. To be sure, I let it go for another four minutes but that only confirmed what I had seen. I stopped that install.

I've rebooted to the main drive and I am NOT hearing the hard drive noise but a "Command I" of the drive still shows 60MB more than is correct. (i.e. 199GB instead of 79GB)

When I look at the drive with "About this Mac" it shows:

Capacity: 320.07 GB (320,072,933,376 bytes)
Model: Hitachi HDP725032GLA380
Revision: GM0KA59A
Serial Number: GEK033RG2LA1WC
Native Command Queuing: Yes
Queue Depth: 32
Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk0
Rotational Rate: 7200
Medium Type: Rotational
Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
Volumes:
Capacity: 209.7 MB (209,715,200 bytes)
Writable: Yes
BSD Name: disk0s1
Macintosh HD:
Capacity: 319.73 GB (319,728,959,488 bytes)
Available: 200.24 GB (200,238,567,424 bytes)
Writable: Yes
File System: Journaled HFS+
BSD Name: disk0s2
Mount Point: /

As I submit this, the drive is silent. So, I'm puzzled.

Last edited by ryck; 05/07/12 05:18 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C