> I don't use any program I haven't paid for.

Sorry, ryck, I didn't mean that, and I apologize for the confusing implication. blush

I meant that once you've paid for an app you're under something of an obligation to yourself to know what you've got on your hands...more-so than when you're merely testing shareware or running freeware. (And I readily admit to not always living up to my own standards...to never even cracking the Help sections of most of the apps I own before desperately needing the help.)

Cocktail's description of the functionality is as lacking as is DiskWarrior's, and while it can be written off to developers' thinking that none but experts are running their apps, I don't think there's much doubt that such is not the case, that the devs know it, and that they're pumping up their wares with ambiguity.

And, by the way, this particular discussion has been running for years, going back to the days when Preferential Treatment was the only game in town, but PT is kinda-sorta up-front in that it at least mentions, albeit not in depth, XML and plutil.

Originally Posted By: man:plutil
plutil can be used to check the syntax of property list files [....] (Emphasis added)

I think "check the syntax" is a more accurate description of the functionality than "search for corrupted preference files."

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire