Here's some more food for thought...

I just d/l'ed MacScan (Safari 5.1.5 with latest nightly Webkit build):

1. This screeshot shows that Cookie found seven tracking cookies at the exact same time that MacScan found none.

2. MacScan found sixteen more cookies to scan than did Cookie, and I've got zero idea where they are, although I guess I can get some sort of indication from the fact that an earlier scan located an msn tracking cookie associated with /Users/artie/Library/Preferences/com.apple.internetconnect.plist??? (Edit: I'd very much appreciate somebody's explaining the mechanics of that; I opened the plist in TextWrangler and didn't see anything that looked unusual.)

3. Tangentially related: I found one feature in MacScan that I believe to be spurious, namely that Web Files > Clean Temporary Cache Files forced me to quit Safari before it would clear cache files that, to the best of my knowledge (after considerable research into the subject), Safari clears automatically when it's quit.

> Safari has been accused of not really getting rid of some tracking cookies that users thought were deleted.

That's the thread I've been promising to start...soon come...I think promise.

Last edited by artie505; 04/18/12 09:42 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire