Quote:
Edit: I'd love to know what you were running to block tracking cookies.

I've spent considerable time googling this issue and it appears that it goes beyond the problem I encountered. Safari has been accused of not really getting rid of some tracking cookies that users thought were deleted. Not knowing the validity of these comments, I decided to do a quick and dirty test where I first ran MacScan to clear the existing tracking cookies. Then, I opened Safari 5.1.5 and went to a few news web sites where I have acquired tracking cookies in the past. I opened a few stories and clicked to continue where the stories were longer than one page. I then Quit Safari and opened MacScan. I ran it and it detected five tracking cookies in my system. They were removed.

I then opened Firefox 11.0 and repeated the same routine that I used with Safari. Upon quitting Firefox, I opened MacScan and it detected zero tracking cookies. I should mention that I used Firefox preferences settings that were as close to Safari's as possible.

Surprised, I repeated the above experiment and obtained the same results.

It appears that, if I have a serious aversion to tracking cookies, I should change to Firefox. Fortunately, Firefox has the capacity to import favorites from Safari.

I'm now thinking it over. Hopefully, this will be helpful to someone.

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5