I have an odd situation which may have been around for years. I am getting an error message pop up which essentially says "The iTunes library file cannot be saved. An unknown error occurred. (-54). I can check the window to not open again, but another one pops up right after.

My research so far indicates this is a problem that has been around a while and there does not seem to be one single solution or source of the problem.

I use a Time Capsule.

I have the latest iTunes and sync with a single iPod with the latest iOS. My MacBook Pro is Lion 10.7.3.

I recently downloaded some apps from iTunes as well as the App store. This began right after that.

The apps all work fine as well as my songs/music. I do not have movies, books or TV shows. I do have podcasts and some I subscribe to.

The various fixes seem to be with permissions and eliminating/changing the existing library(ies). I am inexperienced in both of these areas.

The only other event that may be affecting this is a first step taken to change my password. Long story short, I did not change my password, but during the process of considering how to do this, I attempted to set up a guest user account. I did not realize I had not hit the + to get a new user with name etc. I simply clicked on the guest user and was presented with options. One was to allow a guest full access (or words to that effect). As I am the only user of my iPod and MacBook, I checked OK, but then I stopped going forward.

I wonder if that may have changed permissions in some way.

I've never used my Time Machine for any sort of rescue, so not sure if that can be a useful tool in my efforts to eliminate this annoying window/error.

I hope some experienced user can share words of wisdom on this topic.