Originally Posted By: grelber
Software Update identifies my needing Java for OS X Lion 2012-002 and it appears to want to update Java SE 6 to exactly that which the -001 version already. Weird. I'm going to hang loose on this one.

The CNET review article looks enticing, but I'm awfully skittish about running Terminal.
If I do anything in Terminal, could I possibly damage/alter my software or hardware in any manner? If so, then I'm not going to attempt it.

Yeah, I noticed that the "new" updated Java had the same version number as the "old" one, so I don't blame you for hanging back until Apple updates its doc and clarifies.

Terminal... If you copy and paste the commands you'll be safe. By way of example, I've run the "search" commands, and they generated the exact output the article said they would...

Code:
Artie-s-Computer-4:~ artie$ defaults read /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Info LSEnvironment
2012-04-06 06:39:50.014 defaults[784:903] 
The domain/default pair of (/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Info, LSEnvironment) does not exist
Artie-s-Computer-4:~ artie$

CAVEAT: Terminal commands are always subject to typos by their posters, so you can accommodate your skittishness by avoiding the "destroy" commands, if your iMac is, indeed, infected, until you know they've been tested. (I didn't look, but you may find confirmation in the comments appended to the article.)

In closing, though... Both being a bit of a gambler and having a current backup, I've run any number of Terminal commands posted here on FTM, as well as many others gleaned from sources such as MacFixIt - CNET, and the worst scenario I've ever encountered was a command not running.

Edit: Crossed in the mail...good for you! I was terrified of Terminal at first, but I've come to realize that it's both benign and enormously useful.

Last edited by artie505; 04/06/12 10:05 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire