I'm not an expert and so I write from the experience of a user who just needs stuff to work as advertised. Others at this site can provide more technical views for you.

I have used DiskWarrior since it was released several years ago and recommend it highly. DW has never failed to fix a damaged directory and, on more than one occasion, it has recovered drives that I thought for sure were doomed. It is very simple to use. You can find a review for DiskWarrior here .

I have also owned TechTool but found that my needs were taken care of by Disk Warrior, with the exception of defragmentation. However, I also found that defragmentation didn't seem to be an issue and stopped doing it a few years ago. With the upgrade to Pro 6 I decided to go through a defrag but can't say it made any difference. TechTool has an eDrive feature that I've never used as I repair from a backup drive. You can find a review for TechTool here .

MacKeeper? I've never heard anything except bad stories about that product.

Last edited by ryck; 04/05/12 09:00 AM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C