Yesterday I came back to my iMac after several hours to find the Force Quit Applications window displayed on the desktop saying "Your Mac OS X startup disk has no more space available for application memory" (with Safari and Finder being the apps listed), the Finder being slow as a wet week and multiple occurrences of the following in Console:

"Mar 30 22:46:32 Andy-xxxx's-Computer-2 kernel[0]: (default pager): [KERNEL]: ps_allocate_cluster - send HI_WAT_ALERT
Mar 30 22:46:32 Andy-xxxx's-Computer-2 kernel[0]: macx_swapon FAILED - 12"

and a few of the following which seem to be related:

"30/03/12 10:45:35.000 PM kernel: (default pager): [KERNEL]: System is out of paging space".

My hard drive was and is still well over 300GB free. I attempted to quit Safari but, since everything had essentially ground to a halt, I eventually powered off with the button. I'm no expert at reading Console messages but it seems to me that Safari had conniptions of some sort. Surely it can't be a memory leak because, if it is, that's some leak!

Everything seems fine today but I'm a bit nervous about leaving Safari running. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

iMac 21.5 in, late 2009, 3.06 GHz, Core 2 Duo, 8GB, OS 10.7.3