I'm not any sort of expert but, just applying my simple-minded logic, it's seems there's a key difference.

The original Mac OS was a "from the ground up" GUI system. Microsoft took a system that was not and plunked something on top in order to emulate the GUI.

The OSX system, while it may be "on top" of the original, is a continuation of a GUI that has solid roots in the first system. N'est-ce pas?

My analogy would be car transmissions. One company decides that people may not want to clutch and shift, and might like "Just put it in D and go." When that becomes popular, the second company instead sticks a transmission on top of their first transmission to pull all the levers. It's sort of works, but not nearly as well as the first company's automatic.

Later the first company thinks that customers might like a three gear automatic rather than the old two gear. So they build on what they have - simply modifying something that has has all the wrinkles ironed out.

The second company continues down its original path.

Last edited by ryck; 03/19/12 04:35 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C