Quote:
...unless I've missed something, a major advantage that ImageShackUploader offers over Dropbox is an immediate set of links on my desktop when I upload an image...

Don't know if I'd call that a major advantage, but in any case, to view Dropbox as a mere image-hosting service is to overlook most of its functionality. Recall the manner in which Hal introduced Dropbox into the thread:

Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
Anyway, reading that post made me realize that we haven't included Dropbox here (great for images and much much much much more)...

That much much much much more includes 2 GB of free storage, the ability to share all kinds of files (not just images), the ability to access files from multiple devices/platforms, the ability to sync files transparently between devices, and the ability to back up selected items from your local device to "the cloud" transparently (i.e. by simply choosing in advance what folders you want to keep backed up).

Basically, it's like a modern version of the iDisk, except it works, and it costs $99 less than Mac.com/me.com.

(Note: I don't imagine you have the slightest interest in storing your data on someone else's servers, which sentiment I fully understand, but since many Mac users have a different approach to such things, it's worth making the distinction between the ImageShack one-trick pony and the Dropbox circus.)

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors