I do not like Spotlight.

I have several external USB hard drives, all of them formatted Mac OS Extended and GUID. On one of those external hard drives, Spotlight has NEVER been able to reliably find files by name or by content. Sometimes, files which are sitting right there in an open Finder window do not show up in a Spotlight search and I have never been able to figure out why.

I have tried everything. I've used Spotlight's privacy setting to stop and then redo indexing of the drive. I have used the Terminal to manually delete the Spotlight index files. I've verified the disk with Disk Utility. I've tried it with Preserve Permissions both on and off. Absolutely nothing I have tried has made Spotlight work reliably on that disk, and I have never seen or heard a plausible explanation of why.

I have EasyFind, and the *only* thing I use it for is searching that particular drive.

I'm not a fan of EasyFind. I find its user interface to be muddled and poorly designed, and I often end up frustrated when I search for files by content that it will grind and grind and produce no results, and then I'll look and see that I had some setting wrong--usually, I haven't clicked on Advanced and specified the file extensions for the files I want to search. (By default, it will not search by content in Word files. You have to manually add .doc and .docx in order to make it do so.)

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html