Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
1. In Finder, type Command-F. A Finder search window opens. Enter your search term(s).

2. Click the plus sign at the right side of the window to add another search condition.

3. Click on Kind, and choose Other… from the pop-up menu. A sheet descends with a long alphabetical list of attributes.

4. Scroll down to System files and select it.

Thank you. I have got this far and found that the long list already has a default of 8 items checked off, one of which is "System Files".

It's not a bad idea to check the In Menu checkbox while you're at it; this will save having to invoke the Other… sheet in any future case that you want to include System files in your search.

"In Menu" is not available to me as a checkbox, and there is no checkbox with "Menu" in the name. The only reference to "In Menu" is one of the sort functions at the top of the window.

You can also find mailboxes without including System files by selecting File Extension as the attribute and typing mbox in the text box, or by navigating to ~/Library and searching for the mailbox by name.

Thank you for that and I will store it away. However, looking for a mail folder using a search function is not something I'd do often and, in this case, my concern is that an attempt to do so seems to have uncovered a problem with Spotlight in other kinds of searches.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C