> One problem with all this is: "why"?
Is it just to have Mac OS look like Windows?

Beyond the fact that Windows actually does include some, albeit not much, functionality that is considered both desirable and sorely lacking in OS X (by both switchers and native Mac users), the specific answer is that my daughter carries work home from her office PC to her Mac, and seeing the same file hierarchy on both machines optimizes her workflow.

> "Okay, TotalFinder is one example..."

First, here's the updated hack: "Force Your Mac to Sort Folders on Top of Files (Windows Style)"

While it's useful, it screws up the rest of the file hierarchy, because, since it only works with a kind sort, it leaves files sorted alphabetically by suffix, then by name, rather than strictly by name (Edit: as does Windows), and I suspect that OS X's default behavior of interspersing folders and files in strict alpha order may be preferable.

Thanks for directing me to TotalFinder; it does, indeed, turn the trick. (Path Finder does, too.)

Now, here's the rub: My daughter's not from the spenders, and TF will cost her $18 + $30 to upgrade to Snow Leopard, while PF's Leopard version costs $40 + $20 to upgrade should she ever upgrade past Leopard, which will test the importance of her workflow.

I wonder why nobody has addressed the issue other than by including the fix in a "functionality package" (or has the simple solution for which I'm looking slipped through the cracks in every search I've done)?

In closing: A whole lot of the confusion in this thread cold have been avoided had one of FTM's "seasoned Mac users" immediately responded to my initial request

Quote:
"for a means to sort the contents of a folder with all folders grouped and all files grouped, i.e. not interspersed [....] [...] that works in all views."

by pointing out that sort by kind has been available in all views since Tiger, but that although it doesn't necessarily group folders at the top there's maybe a hack that does.

At any rate, thanks to all who helped this thread reach this point.

Last edited by artie505; 02/21/12 09:58 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire