Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
At this point (wherever cc is), a listing with ls -l would be useful (to see if it still has x bits or not).
ls -l /path/to/cc

Originally Posted By: artie505
In that case, I'd prefer to store cc in ~, but I'm not certain what "modify $PATH accordingly" means. (Does it mean that my cc command must be ~/bin/cc rather than just cc?)

Ideally, we would modify your $PATH variable so you'd only need to type cc

As yet unknown is which of the various startup files your bash shell is already using. This is complicated because there are many possibilities. [e.g., i prefer to set my $PATH in a file called ~/.bashrc]

If you show us this, we can see what your setup is:

cd; ls -1 .bash*

But perhaps (without even knowing which startup files you use), this has the best chance of succeeding:

echo 'declare -x PATH=$PATH:~/bin' >> ~/.bash_profile

...after which, (quit and relaunch terminal) and look at:

echo "$PATH"

and /Users/artie/bin should be at the end there. [don't forget to actually create the ~/bin folder and put cc inside it.]

Got it! Many thanks for working through this with me and not only enabling me to accomplish something useful, but to learn something useful in the process. smile

Code:
Last login: Sun Jan 15 01:52:50 on ttys000
Artie-s-Computer-4:~ artie$ cd; ls -1 .bash*
.bash_history
.bash_profile
Artie-s-Computer-4:~ artie$ echo 'declare -x PATH=$PATH:~/bin' >> ~/.bash_profile
Artie-s-Computer-4:~ artie$ 

Code:
Last login: Sun Jan 15 01:55:40 on ttys000
Artie-s-Computer-4:~ artie$ echo "$PATH"
/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/Users/artie/bin:/Users/artie/bin
Artie-s-Computer-4:~ artie$ cc
    4 ally.com                      4 google.com                    9 wunderground.com
    5 chase.com                    12 intuit.com                  === =====================
   13 cnet.com                     35 macupdate.com               126 cookies in 11 domains
    9 ebay.com                     23 paypal.com
    3 finetunedmac.com              9 vanguard.com
Artie-s-Computer-4:~ artie$ 

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire