Yep, thought of that......unfortunately it's more "under the hood" than that.

I get completely blocked from access beyond the router (pings fine to the router, but not beyond) when logged into 2 of the 3 WiFi networks within range.....on the third WiFi network (all three go to the same PPPoE server) I get limited throughput beyond the router.....on the first two, I can't even ping my own assigned IP address, while on the third I CAN ping my own IP but with significant packet loss.

If I start from my external drive with Snow Leopard, the connection is as good as it ever was.

I've tried re-installing Lion from my ESD image, then updating to 10.7.2 using the combo updater (previously saved to my HD), but the symptoms remain.

My next test will be to re-install Lion, but not update....should show if there is a legacy challenge that survives the re-install, or prove that the challenge comes from the 10.7.2 update itself (as I didn't make the upgrade while I was here last time, but rather while I was at home).

The inconvenient truth about Lion is that without a decent broadband connection EVERYTHING related to system installation takes a really long time.....even with the ESD image burned to disk.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.